Thursday, July 19, 2012

It's a happy, happy day!


It's a happy, happy day!

Written Jun 21, 2012 9:36pm by Heather Dalik
"It's a happy, happy day and that's ok, were gonna eat strawberries today!"  This is a made up song that Cora and I sang all the way home from clinic.  She was thrilled to hear that strawberries can now be on the menu.  Cora is one week off the cyclosporin and I can start adding in all the fresh fruits and vegetables Cora hasn't eaten in 11 months.  I have to clean and peel as much as possible but at least there are no more restrictions.  We thought the day couldn't get any better until...

we came home from the library to see a message from Nancy.  I hate that feeling of waiting for the message to load and the caller to get to the point.  Serious dread filled my head because I knew the call was about Cora's potassium level.  4.3 - wahhoo, in the normal range. Cora promptly ate two bananas, which she declared "delicious".  She asked for a third but we didn't have any more.  I promised her I would make a trip to the grocery store tomorrow.  Time to add bananas back onto the weekly list.  Andrew was equally thrilled.  His comment was "Good, now I won't have hide to eat bananas".  My sweet boy has been hiding when he eats bananas because he didn't want Cora to be sad.  

Cora continues to do great almost 10 months, post transplant.  We are coming up on our one year anniversary.  I am certain that will be a day of reflection for Jeff and I.  The kids came up with "Kids Day", a celebration of being a kid just like Mother's Day or Father's Day.  We are going to celebrate Kids Day on July 21, this year and every year to come.  I will keep you posted as the festivities come together. Maybe we could make Kids Day a Hallmark holiday!  

Kristin (from the cruise) is working on a special project for Cora.  She is too young for an official Make a Wish so we are doing something special to honor her journey.  Kristin is working to get supplies and a few handy people to help build an outdoor play house in our back yard.  She is working to get it built for Kids Day.  Let me know if you are interested in helping or check out Cora's facebook page for Kristin's contact information.  

We got our Flashes of Hope pictures this week.  Those pictures were taken in March but truly show the feisty side of Cora.  She told me as we were driving to our appointment "I not taking pictures today" and that held true.  I ended up in tooooo many pictures, as I was barely showered that day.  The photographer promised to crop me out but must have forgotten.  I will upload those photos and some of Cora enjoying strawberries and bananas over the weekend (I tend to need a little help with this for some reason.)

Please continue to pray for no GVHD.  Three more weeks and the most crucial time will be over.  

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment