Thursday, November 17, 2011

an afternoon at clinic

Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:40 PM, EDT
written by Heather Dalik
an afternoon at clinic
Cora had an afternoon appointment today.  It was our first one in the afternoon because our fellow from the beginning wants to see us.  Anxiety, Anxiety, Anxiety all day!  Why am I feeling so anxious?  Really, her counts aren't going to be bad because we are going in the afternoon.  "Nothing is going to happen", I kept telling myself all day.  And nothing happened.  Everything is fine.  All the things we talked about at the beginning of the week, GVHD being the top, didn't happen.  Cora's cold is okay, her splinter is okay, her red cheeks are okay.  My friend told me that the more times nothing happens, the less stressed I will become.  She is right.  However, I hated the afternoon appointment!  We didn't get home until almost 6:00, tired and hungry.  Usually I have naptime to recover from our appointment.  Instead, I had to walk in the house, finish dinner, homework, baths, and some playtime.  It has been suggested that our Thursday appointment will be at 3:00 from now on.  I told our sweet nurse that this won't work for our family or my sanity, which is quickly evaporating.  I don't know how this one is going to work out but I hope it is in my favor.

I don't have Gretchen's permission to write about her daughter Alyssa so I don't want to write much but Alyssa has cancer and was doing well.  Over the last month she has had a series of mishaps and anxiety causing incidents.  It has literally been one thing after another for her, causing her mom to feel and look a little bit like me (you know, slightly nutsy!).  Gretchen has listened to me vent and offered advise like no one else can because we are part of the same club.  Right now she sits at home, terrified her daughter's cancer is coming back.  I wish I had a crystal ball to tell her what was coming.  I can't do anything to help her but to ask all our prayer warriors to pray for Alyssa and Gretchen. 

I also realized that my Debbie story took a back seat to Andrew's car accident.  Even though it will make for a long post - here goes.

If you go back in my guestbook you might have read this post -
Monday, October 17, 2011 10:37 PM Hi from Debbie McMahon.  We have a daughter, Sarah, who was diagnosed 3 weeks ago today at cmsc 8 at Johns Hopkins with AML.  Sarah is 16.  
Sarah' s counts are down to 0 then are rising today to 23!  Our site is www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahmcmahon
Deborah McMahon

16 years ago I was a nanny for a family, Dan and Deb McMahon.  Sarah was 3 months old at the time.  You can imagine my horror to read this entry.  Right away, I put the pieces together but Debbie had no idea it was me.  I posted on her caring bridge and stalked my email for days.  Nothing. Then, Debbie posted her email address for someone else who was trying to get in touch with her.  You know I cased that email and emailed her.  I so badly wanted to take a trip to the 8th floor and see if it was the same family but Cora is on isolation so I couldn't go unless I got a babysitter.  Plus, what am I going to say when I bust into the hospital room and it isn't them!?! 
Finally, after a week of waiting, Debbie emailed me.  It is the same family, which is devastating.  That beautiful baby girl is fighting for her life.  Here is Sarah's facebook page so you can read more about her fight.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Support-Sarah-Stand-Up-to-Leukemia/162426570512537

Right now there are four families that are weighing heavily on my heart.  Please include these families in your prayers for Cora.

Saturday there is going to be a Be CORAgeous Holiday Shopping event and fundraiser.  Here are the details or you can email me for more information -
Sat, Nov 5   12-6
La Palapa Mexican Grill & Cantina
8307 Main Street
Ellicott City, MD

Check out the invite for a list of vendors.  I am going to be checking out the Tupperware lady.  Lame, but all I want for Christmas is new plastic to store baking supplies.

Sorry for the long post!

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment