Thursday, November 17, 2011

Grace said it!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:30 PM, EDT
written by Heather Dalik
Grace said it!
This morning I got Cora out of her crib, just like every other morning.  I looked at her the same way I have been looking at her for the last two weeks.  Something is different.  She said good morning to "An" and "Ace".  After kissing her sister, Grace said "Mommy, Cora doesn't look like Cora today.  She doesn't look like herself.  Huh, maybe it is because she got her lines out and that is a big deal."   and off she went, leaving me holding Cora and speechless. 
My 8 year old just articulated exactly what I have been struggling with for the last two weeks!  Cora looks different.  I can't really explain it but she looks different.  Maybe she has moved from baby to toddler.  Maybe she is holding onto too much fluid.  Maybe she is loosing weight.  Maybe she is getting sick.  Maybe her eyes are changing color (yes, I asked the doctors if this was possible at her age or from the medications.  Short of telling me I was nutsy, the answer was no.)   I decided that all the emotion of what we are going through is taking over my mind and Cora is the same child, with the same looks, and maybe I am nutsy. 
I do know that one of the medicines Cora takes makes hair grow all over your body.  Cora was a blond so I figured the hair would be blond.  I also made the decision to shave Cora's head.  Her hair has been falling out for weeks.  Every day I am covered in long, blond hairs.  She had nothing left but a slight comb-over but her new hair is starting to come in so I decided it was time.  My sweet friend came over and shaved Cora's head.  Holly has no idea how much her gentleness with Cora (and me) touched me.  Shaving a head is an every day thing for Holly but not for me.  I somehow got through it without crying and also felt glad we did it when we were done.  Then, we gave the few hairs to the birds for their nests.  During dinner when the kids were sharing about their day, Grace asked Cora if she got her hair cut (she even rubbed Cora's bald head, which was cute)  Cora told Grace "hair, birdies, hair all gone".  This little girl is amazing!   
So, where am I going with all of these rambling stories - Cora looks different!  When we got rid of those last, few white hairs, we were able to see why she looks different.  Her hair is coming in dark!  Her eyebrows and eyelashes are dark, which is making her eyes darker. Oh, and the hair that will soon cover her entire body is dark!   At least that mystery is solved!
Other than a 3 hour nap, today was an uneventful day for Cora.  We go to clinic tomorrow for a blood draw.  We can't access her new port until next week so tomorrow's blood draw will be from her arm.  Not pleasant but it will be over fast.  She will get her bandages off tomorrow and maybe get to take a bath tomorrow night.  I hope to get some pictures of the "new" Cora posted tomorrow.  Please continue to pray that Cora stays free of infection.  Please also add a pray for the kids we have met during this journey.  Two of them have completed their chemo treatments and will be getting their ports out this week.  We are thrilled for them.
Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment