Thursday, November 17, 2011

Everyone is okay!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:44 PM, EDT
written by Heather Dalik
Everyone is okay!
Today I got to take one of those calls NO mom ever wants to get.  My step-father has been picking the kids up at the bus stop to help me out.  At just the moment they should have been in my driveway, the phone rang.  "Heather, come quick to Twin Oaks and Camp Meade.  We were in an accident"  The rest of the details are sketchy.  I did call the shop and Simone answered.  I said something like "Tell Jeff to go to Camp Meade and Twin Oaks.  They were in an accident".   I remember Simone saying "Heather, calm down".  That 1/4 of a mile drive was the longest drive of my life.  The road is straight and at some point, the intersection becomes visible.  I was holding my breath to that point.  I remember telling myself to breathe when I saw there was no light rail train involved and Howard's truck was upright.  Andrew was nearly hysterical when I got him out of the truck.  I couldn't calm him down and the paramedics needed to chill out for a minute about whether he needed to be transported or not.  Jeff got there and put Andrew in my car to calm him down.  About 20 minutes later, Andrew was still not himself and the abrasion on his forehead was getting worse.  Apparently, Grace's empty booster seat flew over and hit Andrew on the forehead.  The decision was made to transport Andrew to the hospital for evaluation.  The good news is Andrew has a huge headache and will have an equally as large bruise on his forehead.  He earned himself a day off school tomorrow.  My step father is badly shaken, but okay.  His truck, Stephanie's van (yes, he collided with our neighbor) and the other van that hit Howard are not okay. 

Oh, let me share this little funny in all of this.  Remember, our family graced the front page of the Gazette a few weeks ago.  In the ambulance the medic says "any surgeries in the last three months"  Um, yeah, he saved his sisters life with his bone marrow.  "Wait, you guys were on the front page of the paper in white shirts with lions on them.  (To Andrew) Can I have your autograph?"  That was Andrew's 15 minutes of fame! 

So, I am starting to wonder why I am being tested so heavily.  Today, my embroidery machine broke.  My embroidery machine makes me spending money and Christmas is coming!  4 weeks until it will be fixed.  I think this is a sign to stay focused on Cora's care.  After the events of today, I will not dwell on the stupid machine or its ability to break down just when I need it. Focus. 

Be CORAgeous!  (although I don't feel so corageous right now)

No comments:

Post a Comment