Thursday, November 17, 2011

No more VRE!

Monday, November 7, 2011 8:37 PM, EST
written by Heather Dalik
No more VRE!
VRE is the nasty bacteria which Cora has been carrying around for as long as I can remember.  I guess I could go back in my journals and see how long we have been on isolation but I think it has been 7 weeks.  Finally, today I was told she tested negative.  That means three negatives in a row and we are OUT of isolation, for clinic visits anyway.   Cora will be able to play in the playroom each visit.  She will get to see her pal that she was asking for today.  Every clinic visit will be like a much needed playdate and Cora will be so happy.  I hope this will re-energize me because I don't have to occupy her for so many hours.  Cora will get tested every week so pray that she remains clear. 

Home isolation will continue through March.  No visitors, no playdates, no exposures.  This means no cookie exchange, no Open House after Christmas, no live Christmas tree.  I have to say - who cares.  We are home, as a family, under one roof!

Did you know today is day 67, post transplant?  How did so much time pass?  In the first days after transplant, day 60 sounded so far away.   It has been 100 days since I took Cora to the pediatricians office.  100 days seems so long, yet so short.  Remember, we were supposed to be out of our house 100 days - that seemed like a lifetime.  Yet, on Saturday I was talking to one of the generous strangers about how I was doing.  I was telling her how I feel like I am loosing my sanity, my sense of self, and so on.  She said "Wait, this is all very new.  100 days is nothing.  You are just at the beginning.  You are supposed to be feeling that way."  In that moment, I realized I am being way to hard on myself.  This is still very new.  Cora is not out of the woods.  The stress, anxiety and constant worry is very real.  It is okay for me not to be able to carry a conversation nor want to.  It is okay for me constantly (like every 5 minutes) be checking Cora for fever or signs of infection.  It is okay to not leave her for more than a few hours because she might get sick.  This is still new for me.  Thank you kind stranger who put it all in perspective! 

So, I have a very cool surprise to share but I can't share until Wednesday night.  I can't wait to tell everyone the cool thing that happened to Andrew.  I am busting!!      

Be CORAgeous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment