Sunday, January 8, 2012

"I don't like...."

Friday, January 6, 2012 9:08 PM, EST
written by Heather Dalik
"I don't like..."
Sorry for the delayed update.  For whatever reason, I have been unable to get on Caring Bridge the last two nights.  Our clinic visit on Wed was uneventful.  Cora's blood counts all look great.  As Nancy put it "Now we just keep her infection free and come in for weekly visits".  We have been reduced to once a week, which is amazing.  Having the big kids at school four days this week, left me with three free days.  Wow!  Cora and I have been reorganizing the house, cleaning out the toys and playing playdough. 

Cora is turning into a typical two year old.  Yesterday, she asked to dress herself.  We practiced and practiced the steps to putting on pants and a shirt.  At bathtime, Cora went right to her closet and got out the clothes we used to practice.  She called everyone into her room to watch her new talent and boy, was she pleased with herself when she got her pants on.  I do hear phrases like "I don't like..." and "I do it" and "Me too", all typical toddler phrases.  I had to pull out an old mommy favorite phrase this week too "Are you doing to do it yourself or am I doing to do it for you?"  My friend Lynn handed that phrase down to me phrase 8 years ago.  It has seen a lot of use.  I also had to use "No, that is a Mommy job".  Cora does not like to be told no. 

Cora also has started running, a huge developmental milestone that was delayed by the chemo.  Grace and Andrew created a running game where Cora runs through the kitchen and everyone claps when she gets to the other side. I often wonder what it is like to be the center of attention, as everyone in this house drops whatever they are doing when Cora calls for us. 

Cora is now 4 months post transplant, just over 120 days.  Cora and I have another 4 months of "house arrest" as I have come to call it (thanks Cassie).  I realized that we are 1/2 way there.  I hardly remember the first four months and I am confident I can get through another 4 months.  The winter months are hard on everyone but if we keep having these spring days, we will make it through just fine. 

Since we are reducing our clinic days to once a week, my updates will most likely become more infrequent.  Not to worry - no news is good news.  I promise to update after each clinic visit.  Of course, when there is a cute story to share, I will update. 

Lots of exciting things coming up.  On Jan 21, Cora will turn 2.  That is also the 6 month anniversary of our journey.  In honor of her birthday, I am working on putting together a bone marrow donor drive.  I will share more details about that when I have them. 

Please continue to pray for Cora and her new friends.  We have two special friends that need prayers for health and healing. 

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment