Sunday, January 8, 2012

Today

Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:28 PM, EST
written by Heather Dalik
Today
Today was not quite the uneventful, but long day I planned.  We started the infusion about 10:30.  It is administered very slowly to monitor for reactions.  Benedryl and Tylenol are given preventatively.  Cora was happy watching Elmo, mellowed out by the pre-meds.  There was a little trouble with air in the lines and our nurses worked on fixing that.  Following that, the dose was raised for the next infusion.  At around 12:30, Cora had a severe reaction.  She started complaining her mouth was hurting.  She also started coughing, not moving air, and became combative.  Fortunately, or really unfortunately in this case, I have a lot of experience with swelling airways.  I knew Cora was in trouble, even though our room became controlled chaos.  I will spare you the details mostly because I have already blocked most of them out.  In an instant, I was reminded of how very, very fragile her life is.  Cora has totally recovered and was her normal, horse loving self tonight. 

Tomorrow, I will take my incredibly brave girl to see the horses. 

Be CORAgeous

No comments:

Post a Comment