Sunday, January 8, 2012

What a great week!

Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:38 PM, EST
written by Heather Dalik
What a great week!
We have had such a fantastic week.  I don't even know where to start.  So, admittedly it is a lot having all three kids at home, not being able to go outside (too cold and windy), holiday happenings to take care of, kids want attention, and so on.  Not being able to leave the house during normal waking hours has to be the hardest part of this journey.  During the day, the kids and I baked cookies, did crafts, wrapped gifts and made special handmade gifts for each other.  At night, I ran around getting all the last minute things and groceries.  Somehow, it all got done but on a much smaller scale than previous years.  It is amazing how the inability to do what you usually do, changes what you do.  I didn't have the usual holiday stress of 100's of things to do, because we can't go here and there.  There was no pressure or guilt from friends to attend this event or that party. 

Christmas morning was amazing.  Cora quickly adapted to opening presents and learned the phrase "for me?".  Some of her cutest phrases are "Wooooww", "fresents (presents)", "hoho coming" and the famous "I see a neigh".  The kids enjoyed every last present to the fullest.  We had breakfast and more presents at my Mom and Howard's house, a life long tradition.  PopPop's "doughgies" (fried dough yummyness that I am pretty sure Howard and Leory invented)  are a huge hit with Cora.  Cora's dolly was her favorite gift, after a set of horses. 

The days following Christmas have been filled with playing, playing, playing!  One morning I snuck out with the kids just before 10:00 to show Cora the trains at Marley Station.  Our visit only lasted about 10 minutes (because people started coming in) but at least Cora got to see the trains.  Grandma and Poppop are here from New Jersey, which gives me a chance to get a few odds and ends done.  Grandma and Poppop do a good job of keeping up with the energy in our house.  I am pretty sure Andrew hasn't stopped talking for the last two days. 

Cora's clinic visit yesterday was uneventful.  We had to go back for a blood draw this morning but I haven't heard about the results.  In this case, no news is good news.  Cora gave Nancy (our PA) a lion ornament.  Cora knew the ornament was for Nancy.  As soon as we saw Nancy, Cora went into my bag.  "This", she said.  She took the present and gave it to Nancy with the sweetest "fresent for Nancy".  I am pretty sure that phrase was a present enough.  Hearing a toddler say your name for the first time is the sweetest and not something you forget.  Nancy has been our rock since we got out of the hospital and started clinic visits.  She has seen Cora and I laugh, cry, scream, and worry.  She keeps me sane (sort of, anyway).  There will always be a special place in our hearts for Nancy. 

No special prayer requests tonight.  I am slowly getting my voice back and it seems the virus has left our house.  How about a prayer for snow???

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment