Sunday, January 8, 2012

Terrible!

Sunday, December 18, 2011 1:37 PM, EST
written by Heather Dalik
Yesterday was a terrible day here at the Dalik house.  One where Jeff walks in the door at the end of his work day and says "Wow!  Looks like it was a tough day." and removed the screaming child that was stuck to me with invisible velcro.  What gets into kids this time of year?  Isn't this when they are supposed to be behaving, helpful, loving little angels?  Cora spent most of the day either cry to be held or being held.  Cora's crying stressed Andrew out, which made him over react to Grace's mere presence.  This created some weird dynamic of fighting all day!  I tried "Santa's watching", I tried time out, I tried distraction, I tried more distraction.  But the day went on - Cora crying, Grace and Andrew fighting.  I should note that Grace and Andrew rarely fight so when they do, I have no tolerance for it.  Bed time was early!

Today, I feel like I have been hit by a truck.  I even took a nap.  (sort of anyway - Grace felt compelled to come in and tell me someone was at the door, just as I fell asleep)  I dumped Cora on Jeff today, having him keep her downstairs when I was upstairs.  As soon as Cora sees me, "Mommy hold you".  Luckily, Grace and Andrew are getting along today and playing with our elf, Pizzel. 

Cora has something brewing.  I can just tell.  Friday, just as we were ready to leave for Grace's show choir finale, Cora vomited several times.  I talked to Nancy, our PA, and she said to wait and watch.  Promising Grace I wouldn't miss her show, we left Cora with Rachel as planned.  I figured a fever was coming so when I got home, I packed my hospital bag and got things in order (again).  It seems like if I do that, nothing happens.  So, from today until the middle of next week, I will leave the bag packed.  I might even put it in the car.  Maybe that will protect us from a Christmas week hospitalization. 

Yesterday, Cora had a little bit of a green nose but nothing today.  This lack of immune system is so weird.  Usually, when kids are getting sick, there is a predictable path.  This doesn't seem to be the case with Cora.  One day a cough, then nothing, then runny nose, then nothing.  It just creates worry because I don't know what is coming.  Grace and Andrew are both on the brink of either getting better or worse.  We have to wait and see on them too. 

Can I just mention how proud I am of Grace?  She wanted to do "Show Choir".  I have no experience with it but it is a theater production.  She likes music, but dancing?  She dropped out of ballet and tap years ago.  We let her do it and my Mom has been picking her up from school twice a week since September.  She refused to practice at home so I really had no idea what to expect.  Oh My Gosh - I spent the entire 30 minute show wondering who this girl was.  She sang, danced and performed like she was made for the stage.  When did my shy, quiet daughter turn into a performer?  I guess it happened in the last four months but I was too busy taking care of Cora to notice.  I am already looking forward to the spring production. 

Don't forget about our Be CORAgeous ornaments.  Pam (the artist) just let me know she has a few left.  Here is the link!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/87733225/be-corageous-lion-ornament-fundraiser?ref=sr_gallery_2&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=cora+ornament&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment