Tuesday, October 25, 2011

95% Boy!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:25 PM, EDT
written by Heather Dalik
95% boy!
Cora is 95% boy! This day is almost as happy as when we found out Andrew was a bone marrow match. I was expecting to find out the % of bone marrow that is Cora vs. Andrew on Friday. I was calm and not nervous when I arrived for our appointment. I have learned when doctors start the sentence with "So," something is coming. When Nancy said "So...", my heart hit my stomach (hold in the the throw up) and I immediately thought - ugh infection! But alas, good news and a few days early. 95% or greater of the marrow in Cora's body is Andrew's. There are two tests that can be done to determine the amount. One gives an exact percentage and the other gives numbers like 90% or greater. 95% of greater could mean 99.9% or 95.5%. No matter, it is safe to say the bone marrow transplant worked. There are still a few test results that haven't come back but all the results point to success.
Cora's blood numbers actually went down today, despite the good news. This is to be expected and made for another long clinic day. She got an infusion of GCSF, which boosts the ANC. She appears to be infection free as of this writing. We are praying that the GCSF boost will help her fight an infection that might be developing. Nancy was quick to remind me that the risks of infection are still very high and will be for the next 6 months.
Did you know today was day 42, post transplant? Today Nancy and I talked about the removal of Cora's central line. It will be replaced with a port, which is under her skin. Depending on how she continues to progress, this will be done at her day 60 bone marrow biopsy. I am already starting to look back and not believe we made it this far.
One more piece of cool/good news. Our family is on the front page of the Gazette today! They featured our family to help with cruise ticket sales. Kids all over Linthicum are going to be fighting to read the Gazette today. Here is the link if you want to read the artice;
http://www.mdgazette.com/content/linthicum-boy%E2%80%99s-marrow-saves-his-young-sister

Grace and Andrew are due home any minute. I can't wait to tell Captain CORAgeous the good news. I hope he jumps into my arms again!
Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment