Thursday, September 1, 2011

Moving on up!

Those that know me, know I learned from my mother how to sing (Too bad I wasn't blessed with a good voice).  There is a song for every occasion and my mother is just the one to bolt out some obscure nursery rhyme or show tune.  Today, I can't seem to get the theme song from the 70's show "The Jeffersons" out of my head.  "Were moving on up to the east side, to a delux apartment in the sky.  Moving on up, to the east side, we finally got a piece of the pie".  Actually, today we moved to the west side - we finally got into a big room with a view. 
 Our amazing nurse Alex came in early this morning and said "I had good news and bad".  Deep breath, swallow, hit me with the news.  "The good news is you are moving to a big room, the bad news is you have to move now"  So, there Cora and I are doing our happy dance in our pj's!  We even got to take our new fridge to the big room.  Actually, Cora was totally freaked out about the move and keeps asking to go back to the old room.  Oh well, I celebrated the move all day.  What a difference a little more space makes!

Tomorrow is bone marrow transplant day.  The day will look something like this - wake up, coffee, shower, wait, wait, wait.  Andrew will go into pre-op at 9:45 and surgery at 11:30.  The bone marrow will go in Cora's central line about 3 hours later and take no longer than 4 hours to go in.  Sort of anticlimactic, given that this is a life saving procedure.  I will go home with Andrew to help him with his recovery.  He will be in pain and get to watch lots of movies. 
 
After that, the waiting game begins.  We will need lots of prayers that Cora's body doesn't get any infections.  There are things to worry about that change with each week and I will keep you posted on that.  For now, I am asking everyone to pray that the effects of chemo are minimal for Cora.  She will start feeling really bad early next week.  We are going to spend some time together tomorrow as a family, enjoying our feisty toddler. 

I will do updates on Andrew when we get back to the room tomorrow.

Wear your Be CORAgeous t shirt tomorrow to support Cora.  If you haven't gotten a shirt, wear red - the color for Aplastic Anemia

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment