Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Everything happens for a reason

THURSDAY, JANUARY 26, 2012 2:13 PM, EST
written by Heather Dalik
Everything happens for a reason
Everything happens for a reason - cliche, but true.  Everyone you meet, has a reason.  What is that poem about friends - a reason, a season, or a lifetime?  So many people have come into my life or come back into my life in the last 6 months.  I know there is a reason for each and everyone of them but the reason may not be obvious right now.  I know why I met Bridget and Gretchen.  Bridget was close to the end of her journey, Gretchen in the middle and both were able to offer unwavering support as I came to terms with our new life.  I know why I met Kristin and Heather - the fundraisers extraordinaire.  I know why Deb sent me the caring bridge message about Sarah.  But what about those from the past that suddenly come back into your life? 
On Tuesday, I took Grace and Andrew to the Wellness House for CLIMB.  Climb is a support group for kids with a loved one who is ill.  As I was sitting there, filling out paperwork, in walked Paula.  I worked my early teaching years with Paula.  She was tough as nails and just the kind of teacher your want you child to have.  She doesn't put up with any stuff but will love your child with all her heart.  She has an incredible calm, listens like she means it, and speaks poetically about things that matter.  Turns out, she is Andrew's teacher for Climb.  I know, without question, Andrew will come out of our 8 week Climb session a much happier, less worried little boy.  Paula is going to do what I cannot do.  She will get him to talk about his feelings and work through some of his anxiety over Cora being sick.  Andrew is in the best place possible.  So, why was Paula chosen to run the group?  Maybe because we are in a place of healing and Paula is a healer.  Maybe because I am already comfortable with her and it won't take much for me to turn my boy over to her each week.  Maybe because someone knew I needed a familiar face who understands what we are going through.  

So, I guess my message is don't take interactions for granted.  Everyone you talk to each day - there is a reason.  Each person you talk to at the grocery store (or Lowes - Shannon please email me if you are reading this), they have a story.  Take the time to listen and don't take them for granted.  Every Mom you meet on the playground has a story.  You met that Mom for a reason.  Every co-worker, every business associate.  There is a reason. 

Okay - enough heavy stuff!  Cora's clinic visit yesterday was uneventful.  Aren't you glad to read that?  She does have a cold, mostly in her chest.  She is handling it though and I am not worried (little white lie).  It looks like we will only go to clinic once this week.  Isn't that amazing!  Look at how well she is progressing to health.  This is one of those level times, when the roller coaster is neither up or down.  I have gotten updates from several of our new friends, most I have asked you to pray for at one time or another.  Everyone is doing well.  Let's pray that the roller coaster stays level. 

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment