Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Groupies

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2012 6:41 PM, EST
written by Heather Dalik
Groupies
Admittedly, the kids I and are Milkshake groupies.  We go to every Milkshake concert we can.   Cora's favorite song is "Happy Song", which she calls "lala's".  I have the privilege of listening to this song several times every day.  Cora and I know ALL the words.  Today, Milkshake was hosting their Valentine Spectacular.  I knew Grace and Andrew would want to go.  Grace is a huge fan of Lisa, the lead singer.  She often asks me to do "milkshake hair", grabs a tutu and rocks out with Andrew on guitar.  So, this morning we sported our Milkshake hair, tutu and air guitar.  Of course, Cora wanted to go.  I did feel very sad and guilty that I couldn't share this concert with her but the church it was held at holds 1000 people.  Something tells me Nancy (Cora's doc) wouldn't approve that trip!  

On the way out the door Jeff said "I hope they play lala's for you"  I said "I hope not.  I will cry"  Silly me, thought nothing of that comment.  I mean really, what is the likelihood that they would play THAT song.  I didn't even make a plan for what I would do if they played that song.  I just figured the odds were in my favor, it would be fine.  

I am not a natural story teller but I will try to tell the rest of the story.  There I am listening to the music, happy because the kids were rocking out by the stage having a good time but sad seeing all the happy two year old, missing Cora.  Lisa says "So, is there a Heather out there?"   "Yeah, right another Heather", I tell the kids.  "So, she may have brought Grace and Andrew.  She is Cora's Mom."  Seriously - you are looking for me?  If you know me, you know I am waaayyyy under the radar.  I would never choose to go on stage with 500 people looking at me.  Grace and Andrew's eyes were wide as saucers as I made my way up to the stage.  By the time I was in front of Lisa and Mikel, I was crying.  She told the audience our story (this is as close as I can remember) - "Heather sings this song with her little girl Cora.  Cora couldn't be here today because she had a bone marrow transplant from her big brother Andrew.  Her big sister Grace is amazing too.  We are going to sing this song for Cora and you are going to help."  I got the be "lala", which is Cora's favorite part.  Imagine, if you will, 500 strangers watching you sing a song and cry (and cry and cry and cry).  We sang, I cried, my kids watch with eyes wide, not really sure what they were seeing.  

At some point Mikel said to me "We got your email"  Email?  I didn't send an email to you???  Ohhhh, remember Jeff saying "I hope they play lala's for you"  Jeff wrote to Milkshake asking to them to play the song and dedicate it to Cora.  While incredibly embarrassing, it was an amazing experience for the kids and I.  Thank you Jeff!  

Mikel said "This might be one of the best Milkshake Moments".  I later told Mikel the best Milkshake moment for me will be when Cora can hear that song live.  Now, I am really, really looking forward to sharing Milkshake with Cora.  

Oh, I forgot to mention at some point girls from the church (who were dressed as angels) gave Grace and Andrew posters they made for our family, which the kids will always treasure.  These girls were so sweet, giving us balloons for all three kids.  

One last thing - remember a few journals ago I talked about everyone you meet or talk to, there is a reason.  While we were in line, I chatted briefly with a woman.  Just chatter.  I didn't tell her our story.  I was teetering on crying for some reason so we just chatted about the music while we waited to go in for the concert.  After the concert, she came and found me.  She said "I know why we talked.  My friend's daughter had a bone marrow transplant when she was a baby.  She is 5 now."  You know I have been searching and searching for someone whose baby had a bone marrow transplant and is older.  I was to hear what life is like one year post transplant, two years post transplant.  The woman I met is putting me in touch with her friend.  Amazing!  Simply amazing!  

Cora's clinic visit this week was uneventful.  Her counts were good but her potassium levels are on the rise again so no more bananas.  Every day we see the subtle changes into toddler hood.  Cora's sentences are 5 or 6 words, clear and demandingloving.  She loves her family and Mommom has successfully taught her to say "Shake your booty", which makes us smile every time.  Her hair continues to grow back a completely different color and texture.  

Please pray for Cora's continued good health. 

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment