Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It's the not knowing...

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2012 3:48 PM, EST
written by Heather Dalik
It's the not knowing....
It is the not knowing that is making me nuts.  Not knowing what life is going to bring.  Not know if Cora will stay on this healthy path.  Not knowing is Cora will get sick and end up in the hospital.  Friday afternoon Cora cried and cried, for hours on end.  I put her to bed around 6:00.  She looked terrible.  I was absolutely convinced a fever was coming.  So convinced in fact, that I packed my bag and told the kids so they wouldn't freak when we weren't there in the morning.  I got up every hour and checked Cora for a fever.  (Ok maybe, I skipped the 5:00 am check.)  Hour after hour, no fever.  Precious little girl, sleeping soundly.  I prayed every single time I went back to bed that her body would fight whatever was going on.  I prayed before I got out of bed and prayed again before I touched her head.  And when she woke up in the morning, she was all smiles!  Go figure! 

I signed up to join a bone marrow failure support group.  Saturday was the first meeting so I went as planned, since Cora looked fine.  The coordinators of the group are a wonderful couple and he was treated for Aplastic Anemia 8 years ago with a bone marrow transplant.  Bummer though that none of the people in the group are kids.  I hope that through the group, I will meet a family like ours.  I really want to hear what life is like 5 years later.  

After the support group Grace and Andrew went to our beloved Khloe's birthday party.  Khloe and Cora are the same age and will be the best of friends when Cora gets off house arrest.  The kids have been looking forward to this party for weeks.  The best part of the afternoon was getting to spend time watching my kids play and have fun.  Khloe's parents, Amy and Craig know how to throw a party!  Khloe is their miracle baby.  Amy had cancer and didn't know if/when another baby would happen.  Amy probably doesn't want me telling her whole story but I did have a fleeting moment yesterday when I looked around the room and thought, these people look so normal.  You would never know what they have been through just a few, short years ago.  Last weekend Amy and Craig dragged me (Jeff went willingly) to the Ulman Cancer Fund's Blue Jeans Ball.  She was awarded the Young Fight Award.  Yesterday was a perfect example of why that award belongs to her.  She fought and won.  Now she is helping others fight.  I am glad to have Amy in my corner! 

On April 29, our family will run the 6k, Port to Fort for Believe in Tomorrow.  That is where we stayed after Cora's Bone Marrow Transplant.  I read that 92% of funds go to help families.  That high % makes me feel great about giving back by helping to raise money.  Here is the link to our team. 

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/becorageous/port2fort2012 

Grace and Andrew are doing the race so I am sure we will be walking some of it.  Please join us.  Strollers and wagons are welcome for the kids.  I am also planning on doing training runs with the kids and will post them on Facebook.  

Pray that this is another uneventful week for Cora.  We have clinic on Wednesday morning this week.  I will update after our appointment.  

Be CORAgeous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment