Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Whose Birthday is it?

SATURDAY, JANUARY 21, 2012 8:14 PM, EST
written by Heather Dalik
Whose Birthday is it?
There is no question whose birthday it is.  If you ask Cora she will tell you "me,me,me".  It has taken me several hours to get my thoughts together for a journal.  Today, also marks the 6 month anniversary.  At exactly 8:17 we were being transported by ambulance to Johns Hopkins.  I am going to reflect on the last 6 months tomorrow.  Today, I will honor Cora. 

Dearest Cora Bean, 

    At 8:32 a.m. on January 21, you simply couldn't wait any longer.  Even though we were schedule to be induced the next day, even though everything was planned out, you couldn't wait.  In a few, very short hours,  (Daddy still shudders a bit when he thinks about the drive to the hospital.) you were part of our family.  I still remember the first time you saw your best friends, Grace and Andrew.  You loved them instantly and our lives were forever changed.  
      
     You turned 2 years old today.  6 months ago we didn't know.  We didn't know what was wrong or if we could fix it.  For many months, time stood still.  You stopped meeting milestones.  You stayed a baby, when you should have been turning into a toddler.  You were sick, very sick. 

     I have spent the last two days marveling at all that you can do.  You are a toddler now.  You walk and have started to run.  You talk, talk, talk and then talk some more.  You want to dress yourself and pick out your snacks.  All normal things a toddler would do.  Yet, there are so many things that are uniquely you and this is what makes us love you so. 

- you are sunshine in the morning, sunshine at night 
- you are happy, happy, happy even when you are crying 
- you love your "woof woof" even when she takes your breakfast
- you love Grace and Andrew more than words can say 
- you live with passion that many people look for all their lives 

     I have heard from many people that you are here for a reason.  You have a message.  I know now you are here to teach us about love, strength and courage.  You love with your entire body, unconditionally, all day long and without question.  Because of you, I am also learning how to use the strength that we all have deep within.  Courage - that needs no explanation.  

      I am looking forward to this next year.  I can't wait to see where you will take us. 

Happy Second Birthday! 

Be CORAgeous!  
Love, Mommy 

No comments:

Post a Comment