Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Reflection

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 28, 2012 1:20 PM, EDT
written by Heather Dalik
Reflection
Suzanne (fellow cancer Mom) wrote asked in her journal, if you knew this could be the last day of your child's life, what would you do?  Just the public acknowledgement that her child is nearing the end of his battle with cancer, is heartbreaking.  Faith will undergo her second bone marrow transplant to rid her body of cancer.  Baby Jackson is day +14 post bone marrow transplant.  Alyssa just found out she only (yes, only) has 11.5 more months of chemo.  Sarah will undergo more testing to see if her body is rid of cancer and ready for a transplant.  The list goes on and on.  These are all children that I have come to know and love during our journey.  

I have come to realize how incredibly blessed we have been starting with having a bone marrow match.  Cora came through chemo prep and transplant with flying colors (although it didn't seem like it at the time). We have stayed (mostly) germ free at our house, which has protected Cora from another hospitalization.  We are blessed and it is time to start giving back.  

I am going to get swabbed to be on the bone marrow registry.  Before Cora got sick, I left it up to everyone else to take care of the sick people.  I didn't know any child that had cancer.  I didn't even know what a bone marrow transplant was.  Hopkins was a place the sickest people went.  I had never been there.  

I hope you are inspired by Cora's success.  Come and get swabbed with me!

Saturday, March 31 
Severna Park Racquetball and Fitness Club
8514 Veterans Highway
Millersville, MD  
9:00-1:00

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment