Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Tired, just tired

SUNDAY, MARCH 18, 2012 9:03 PM, EDT
written by Heather Dalik
Tired, just tired
     We had a super fun weekend!  Friday Grace, Andrew and I started out the weekend watching our friend Taylor perform in a play.  She makes the best Rapunzel and I think they are holding a job at Disney World for her.  We are so proud of Taylor!
     
     Saturday, we did a two mile training run/walk to get ready for the Believe in Tomorrow Children's House 6k.  I fully expected to have Andrew sitting in the stroller with Cora 1/2 way through.  Not only did he make it the whole way, he ran most of it.  There is hope for him!  He did come up with some interesting excuses, "My spine is too soft to run" and "I have a splinter in my big toe, even though I have my shoes on". But, in the end he did two miles.  Grace ran almost the entire distance and didn't complain.  We won't talk about what I did/felt/complained about.  The months of no exercise are catching up with me.    

     Saturday afternoon Grace, Andrew and I went into Annapolis to see Andrew's beloved Ms. Anna and her band play.  Ms. Anna is a talented musician, with an adorable daughter.  She also happens to be Andrew's teacher.  Whenever there is music on in our house, it is either Milkshake or Ms. Anna.  We celebrated Ms. Anna's favorite song "The Little Red Hen".  The kids came home and played the cd and acted out the song with Cora.  I videoed most Cora's favorite songs for her to watch at clinic this week.  Annapolis on St. Patrick's Day?  Not a great idea!  We had a quick dinner and came home to a smiley Cora and Jeff. 
    
    Each time anyone leaves Cora, she asks "I go this time?"   It breaks my heart to have to say no.  So, we decided to try a trip to the zoo. This is one of the approved activities as long as we go first thing in the morning and don't stay long, no gorilla house, no tram, no children's petting zoo.  Each time I went off on another adventure with Grace and Andrew this weekend, I told Cora on Sunday we would go see the animals.  So, this morning as soon as she woke up she excitedly asked "Daddy, I go see the animals?"  She was the first one finished breakfast, first one dressed, first one in the car.  Her eyes were wide as we drove on a road that didn't take us to Johns Hopkins.  She was speechless as we packed up the stroller and got ready to go in.  She had a blast!  Her whole face smiles when she is happy and you can see her smile, even when her face is covered in a blue mask.  She smiled the entire time, even though she was scared.  

     You see, no one thought to suggest that reintegration to society should be slow and purposeful.  I had to learn this the hard way but it only took once.  I got the message from Cora and won't make that mistake again.  Last weekend, while Jeff and the kids were visiting his parents, I tried to take Cora out thinking it would be easier if it were just her and I.  It was a disaster.  She was scared, crying, shaking and very happy to be back in the car after only 5 minutes in an empty mall.  So, I talked to a few people who know about this kind of stuff and made a plan to try again.  The zoo might seem like a bad choice but first thing in the morning, there isn't anyone there.  It is outside, which Cora is used to.  

     We have always had a membership (thanks to Grandma and PopPop!) so Grace and Andrew are familiar with the layout.  (We have had a bit of trouble reintegrating Grace and Andrew too.)  We met friends there, which was perfect for Grace and Andrew.  They immediately paired up and lead the way.  Anyway, the slightly damp morning lent it's self to a perfect outing for our family.  We got to stay a bit longer than we thought because of the weather.  Andrew told us in the car on the way home "You know sometimes nature gives gifts.  Today we were able to stay longer because of the weather.  That was a gift."    

     At 8:45 tonight, the three Dalik children were still awake.  I can hear the gasps as, the Dalik children are in bed by 7:30 - asleep.  Tonight, all three were totally over stimulated by our fun weekend.  Cora chatted away in her bed about all the animals until 9:15.  Grace and Andrew eventually fell asleep, dreaming happy thoughts of Rapunzel, The Little Red Hen and spring at the zoo.

     Clinic tomorrow.  Pray for good potassium levels.  My bag is packed because I don't think I can stomach the mac and cheese again.  Also, please pray for our friend Alyssa as she battles the effects of chemo and for Baby Jackson who had a bone marrow transplant a few days ago.  

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment