Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Happy to you!

TUESDAY, JANUARY 17, 2012 12:50 PM, EST
written by Heather Dalik
Happy to you!
On Saturday our amazing baby girl will officially turn 2.  That date also marks the 6 month anniversary of our journey (or rollercoaster, depending on the day).  I have no idea how that date will affect me but I can tell you that our almost 2 year old is super excited that there is going to be a party just for her.  

A few weeks ago I was really, really bummed about not being able to give Cora a birthday party like last year with family, tons of kids, cake, presents and SNOW (we made it snow in the garage and the kids are still talking about it)  Birthday parties are my thing.  I love putting them together and tend to go over the top.  We are still in the land of "no exposures" so, what could I do?  Late one night, I decided to throw a birthday party from invites to goody bags, for three kids.  So, Sunday afternoon Grace and Andrew will leave the house, presents in hand, and come back a few hours later.  Cora and I will decorate and get some snacks ready for a "neigh" party.  The invite said "Hurry, don't be late.  We've got a lot to celebrate."  Boy, do we have a lot to celebrate!  

Grace and Andrew are super excited to celebrate with Cora.  Grace, being one for details, wants to know exactly all the things I have planned.  Somehow, I have managed to keep most of it from her.  As the party was being planned in my head, I tried to keep it simple.  Honestly, I did.  It kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger.  So, I threw away all my notes. 

I decided to do a challenge (because I don't know if you have noticed, but I am getting bored!)  I decided to see if I could do this party without buying anything but food.  I set the rules - everything from the party must be from our house or a friends house, except food.  1/2 of that had to come from our pantry.  The ability to throw a party on no budget means one of two things (1) you have too much stuff in your house or (2) your friends have too much stuff in their house.  

We are 5 days from party day and I am doing well.  I have spent $7.  I did my regular craft store runs and came home with ideas.  Every time I went to add something to my cart, I came up with a substitute from my craft stash.  I cannot wait to share our girl's 2nd birthday party with you. 

Now onto the medical stuff, which is why you read anyway.  Cora's clinic visit today was uneventful.  Even though Cora and I had a long talk about cooperating and adding in a bribe, when it came right down to it, she wasn't buying it.  I was so thankful for a sweet friend who offered her Leap Pad to occupy Cora while I talked to Nancy.  Last week Andrew, Cora and I had a quick cold but nothing came of it for any of us.  I didn't even freak out when I heard coughing.  (See, like Stephanie says, the more times nothing happens, the more relaxed you will get.)  And the best news, Cora's potassium levels were fine.  She was thrilled to hear and on the way home she said "Mommy, I eat nannie (banana) at home?"  "Yes", I said.  "Oh wow, nummie!"  She was so happy and I think she enjoyed every single bite of her banana, that she ate before she took off her coat.  

So, the rest of this week, the kids and I will spend our afternoons doing crafts and baking because they get out of school early the whole week.  I promise to post birthday pictures after the weekend.  

Please continue to pray that Cora's immune system stays strong and that she doesn't need another IGG infusion.  

Be CORAgeous!  

No comments:

Post a Comment