Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Flu season

MONDAY, MARCH 26, 2012 2:49 PM, EDT
written by Heather Dalik
Flu season
This morning at clinic Nancy and I talked about how flu season is finally peaking.  It seems so weird the flu season would peak when it is March.  Usually, March is when flu season is winding down.  No more quick errands, no more hugging friends.  There are two nasty flu bugs out there right now and Cora shouldn't be exposed to either.  We would hope her immune system could handle a flu but I am not willing to take chances.  I have to admit I have gotten lazy about disinfecting, doing common surfaces every other day instead of every day.  I even let the nasty, germ laden backpacks in the house!   Sorry, but we are locking the house back up.  Back to the rules of January, back to protecting Cora no matter who gets upset, back to being afraid of the flu.  

Cora's potassium level was 5.3, which is exactly what it was last Monday.  Nancy hasn't called with Cora's other blood counts but we are hoping they are stable as well.  

Thursday Cora is participating in Flashes of Hope.  Photographers are brought into Hopkins and the kids are treated to a photo shoot.  The photographers are all professionals who donate their time.  I have decided to have Cora photographed in her beads of courage.  For every event during this journey, Cora gets a color coded bead.  She has 4 necklaces so far.  She loves hearing the story of her beads.  Her bone marrow transplant bead is by far our favorite.  One day, we will have her beads made into something special.  I can't wait to share the pictures with you.  

Speaking of photographers, my dear friend and photographer Kelly is having brain aneurysm surgery today.  She was one of the lucky ones, as it was caught before it ruptured.  Kelly has kids the same age as Grace and Andrew.  I met Kelly at a time when I really needed a friend.  Grace was two and and Andrew was a baby.  I thought I was going to loose my mind keeping up with Grace and her limitless energy.  Kelly was my best friend's wedding photographer.  Go figure - I helped her at the wedding and we hit it off.  I remember our first play date like it was yesterday.  She was watching Grace and Dylan play.  Laughing, she said "You are right.  She can keep up with Dylan.  They are perfect for each other!"  Kelly has taught me that I am slightly (I can hear you laughing!) over protective, I worry too much and sometimes you just have to do what you love.  Today, I think my worry is founded so please pray for a successful surgery and recovery.

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment