Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Update

MONDAY, MARCH 5, 2012 1:46 PM, EST
written by Heather Dalik
It was Sunday night before I realized I didn't do an update last week.  Cora had clinic on Mon so I decided to wait.  I was hoping we might have the results from the 6 month blood work.  Today was an uneventful clinic visit but the results won't be back until Friday.  Today Nancy told me she expects the results to be fine.  At this point, it would be okay if some of Cora's marrow came back.  I didn't know that and have been worrying myself over these test results.  Nancy said that Cora's counts have rebounded and this is the best indication of transplant success.  I am sure I will think of tons of questions about that as this week wears on as I am a little confused about our brief conversation regarding this.  All of the other bmt's I know are cancer kids and, in those cases, they want the most donor marrow.  I assumed the same would be true for Cora.  Still, it will be interesting to see what % of her marrow is Andrew's. 

Cora behaved very well at clinic today and had her port accessed with only a little screaming.  Nancy and I went over the particulars - eating, drinking, happy?  We talked about the days following the IGG infusion and how we will handle that in the future.  I am hoping there isn't a need for another infusion.  

We got to see Baby Ava, another BMT.  It was great to see Julie (Mom) and talk about "things".  There is a lot of comfort in talking to someone who is going through the same house arrest!  Cora talked about "Baby Avy" on our drive home.  The last time we saw Ava, she wasn't walking yet.  Cora was impressed with Ava's new found steps.  "Mommy, Avy walk?"  I also got a big snuggle from Ava, which Cora wasn't too sure about "Mommy, snuggle Avy?"  I can hardly wait for the girls to get together and play outside of clinic. 

Our celebration planned for Sunday had to be postponed.  Aunt Sooz and Uncle James both have colds.  The kids handled the news very well, mostly because they understand the scope of keeping Cora well.  We had a mini-celebration, put on by Grace.  We will celebrate big next weekend!  I also went and checked out the clean factor of our local Rita's.  Nancy suggested this might be a good summer treat.  That place is clean as a whistle and we will be able to take the kids there when the weather gets warmer.  The kids are already looking forward to it.  

Cora and I aren't scheduled to go back to clinic until next Monday.  Nancy also suggested we might start stretching the number of days between visits.  WHAT?!!?  That was my response.  I have come to count on those blood numbers as an extra security blanket.  I am not ready to stretch the visits!

A bone marrow donor drive in Cora's honor has been planned for March 31 from 9-1.  We are holding it at Severna Park Racqetball and Fitness in Severna Park.  I will post the details of the drive soon.  Save the date!  

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment