Thursday, July 19, 2012

Happy Day!


Happy Day!

Written May 13, 2012 9:38pm by Heather Dalik
First, let me say Happy Mother's Day to my mom.  I know she won't see this but she is the glue that holds us together right now so I want her to know I love her.  Happy Mother's Day to all the influential women in my life too.  If you smiled when you read that, I am talking about you!  Love to you all.

I know you are wondering how the sickness turned out.  I spent Friday night up to my eyeballs in vomit.  Not what I was expecting, as I truly thought Andrew had strep again.  Between Cora's nebulizer treatments and changing sheets, I was happy to see the sun come up.  Grace and I slipped out of the house before 7 to head to Show Choir competition.  They did a great job and won first place.  Too bad they were the only group in their category.  Grace had an exciting day at Six Flags and was super happy to be on her own.  

Early this morning, I was cleaning upstairs and sanitizing every single surface.  Grace was watching me bleach the bathroom floor because it was blessed several times on Friday night.  She said "Don't you think someone should be doing that for you since it is Mother's Day?"  Huh, now THAT is a thought! 

I was pleased with my answer - "You know, Mother's Day or any other day for that matter, doesn't have to be about big things, over the top things.  As long as you are doing something you love, that is enough."  

My girl looked at me like I have flipped my lid and said "You like cleaning?"  "

"Well, no, who likes to clean?  Not me, but I do love the idea that I am protecting you from germs so I do it.  Besides, when I get done, we are going out to play in the garden and you know I love that."  

And off she skipped to make me yet another card professing her love for me.  We spent the time in the garden pulling weeds and I was treated to a garden side lunch, made by Grace.  Last week I saw that Lowes had ferns super cheap - $7.50.  I always get two for the front porch and remember that sometime during Cora's hospitalization last summer my $17 (each) ferns died.  I thought it would be a fun outing for us to go buy fern and maybe some annuals to make a pot together.  After a minor anxiety tantrum from the two olders, we were on our way.  

As we made our way through the garden center, (we had to walk past a check out line that stretched seemingly forever) Grace whispered "Mommy, why is everyone watching us?  Is it Cora?"  I had already noticed.  The stares at Cora and the downcast eyes toward me.  I wanted to scream "she is a survivor and you can't catch what she has!"  When people stare at Cora, we have noticed that she stares right back.  She has no idea, no inhibition, no reason to feel self conscious of her mask or crazy hair. She just smiles along, happy to be out where people are.  She can't feel their pity, empathy or sorrow but I can.  

I don't feel like we need pity or empathy.  We are the lucky ones.  On Mother's Day, and every other day for that matter, I get to hold my three kids and tell them how much I love them.  

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment