Thursday, July 19, 2012

Rash


rash

Written Jun 29, 2012 8:40pm by Heather Dalik
I was reminded twice today how lucky we have been throughout this journey.  Cora has, for the most part, sailed through.  Even so, this has been a wildly stressful year.  You can't imagine being me and I can't imagine being the parent of a girl who didn't have a bone marrow match or of a girl whose transplant didn't take.  I have tried to keep in mind no matter how bad it is, there is always someone whose child is sicker.  

We have been praying like mad that Cora would avoid Graft versus Host Disease in the month following the cyclosporin wean.  The most obvious gvhd would appear as a sunburn like rash.  Three days ago, I saw the rash.  It is in on her legs.  Is it gvhd or eczema?  Let's flip a coin and hope it lands on eczema.  At this point it is impossible to tell but I can tell you the discussion points at clinic today - 
    might be eczema but might be gvhd
    wrong time of year for eczema but Cora's skin is dry
    liver function is still high but stable - may or may not be connected
    potassium level is good but she can only have one banana a day
    
The solution - load her up on good, heavy lotion several times a day and wait.  Yes, wait.  I hate waiting. I am not a good waiter.  I want answers now.  


Please pray for eczema, which in turn means no gvhd.  

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment