Thursday, July 19, 2012

Welcome to Summer


Welcome to Summer

Written Jun 11, 2012 6:42am by Heather Dalik
Today is the first official day of summer vacation for the big kids.  Cora is out of her mind happy with the news that she will no longer have to say goodbye to them each morning.  "You stay home today?", she has asked each one.  This will be "transition week" as I call it - getting used to being with each other all day long.  I predict everyone will be on sticker charts for behavior by Wednesday.

Grace is starting out summer with a bang.  She hasn't been down with illness for an entire year.  She has strep and woke up yesterday with a fever.  Today, she has a nasty cold and a fever.  After waking me up at 6:00 this morning, she is sleeping on the sofa.  She is such a good girl when she is sick though.  She set up her station by the sofa with books, water, snacks and her blanket.  All she wants is an occasional snuggle. 

I worked the Cape St. Clair Strawberry Festival on Sat and unloaded tons of inventory.  I am so grateful that my customers came out and saw me.  I have come to believe every person you meet is for a reason.  The vendor next to me is a 2 time leukemia survivor.  She was 2 when she was diagnosed.  The first thing out of my mouth?  "Show me your scars!"  She had a central line twice.  The crazy thing is as she has grown, the scars moved and they are almost under her arm.  We didn't get to talk much but I plan on connecting with her too. One day I am going to get all the amazing people I have met together, in one room.  We all have something to teach each other.  

A quick update on our pals - Faith was seen feeding the ducks over the weekend at Patterson Park.  This tiny bit of normalcy is nothing short of a miracle.  It is predicted she will be in transition housing through July.  Jackson is prepping to leave transition housing.  
Alyssa's rollercoaster ride took a dive over the weekend and she could use some prayers.  She had a spinal tap on Friday and chemo but has something going on in the tap area.  "Something going on" is never a good phrase when your kid has cancer.  

Cora has clinic this afternoon.  She has already requested to wear her "squeaky shoes" to clinic.  This will be a big week for Cora.  She takes her last dose of the skunky anti rejection medication on Wednesday.  This is bitter sweet.

Be CORAgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment