Thursday, July 19, 2012

Mini Me turns 9


Mini Me turns 9!

Written Jun 3, 2012 6:42am by Heather Dalik
Today is Mini Me's birthday.  Grace is a "mini me" in every sense of the word.  Friends from elementary school marvel at the likenesses between 9 year old Grace and 9 year old me.  Grace shares every love I have, whole heartedly.  She spends her time sewing, reading, working in the garden, creating new things, refurbishing the old, and organizing things.  She loves physical activities and is an amazing swimmer and runner.  She comes from a long line of women who like to control their environment and I can tell you that trait didn't skip a generation.  Jeff and I use the phrase "Out manipulate the chief manipulator" when we have to make Grace think something was her idea to get her to comply.  We are convinced her tenacity and dedication to a cause will prove to be a good trait as she enters the adult world.  

Last night Grace asked me to tell her birth story.  Like most Mom's, I remember it vividly.  My principal suggested I leave school two weeks prior to Grace's due date.  This would be better for the kids if she came early and if she was late, I would have some time to myself.  I said goodbye to my students and packed up my classroom.  I wondered what I would do with my time.  That weekend, I nested. Monday night, I dragged my swollen body to my last yoga class.  I did yoga several times a week during my pregnancy, my friend Suzi always positioned to my left.  Our yoga instructor and friend Pam delivered a mediation about pregnancy, delivery and motherhood that was so heart felt and a wonderful way to pay tribute to our baby girl. She closed the mediation by asking everyone to send energy for a peaceful delivery and recovery.  Well, I guess there was a lot of energy coming my way because we picked up our yoga balls, lifted them over our heads, put them on the floor and did a fold over stretch. In that exact moment, I heard that tell tale POP and fluid was everywhere. 
 "Suzi, Suzi , what is it like when you water breaks?" (just trying to verify I hadn't peed my pants) - I whispered.
 
"OH MY GOD.  PAM, PAM, Heather's water just broke." - Suzi screamed.

Thank you energy!!

Before I knew what was happening, the lights were on, people were throwing cellphones and towels at me.  I was whisked to my car and driven home by a pair of angels (whom I have never seen again). Someone cleaned up the floor and threw my soaked yoga mat away. Jeff came home from work, we made some phone calls and cleaned up the house.  We got the carseat installed at the fire station (something first time parents do) and waited. And waited and waited and waited.  At 2:00 in the morning, my midwife called "Are you absolutely sure you are not in labor?"  If I was in labor, I didn't know it. Nothing was happening.  We went in to the hospital in the morning and got the dreaded pitocin.  Five short hours later at 9:52 pm our baby girl entered the world.  My Mom and sister arrived within moments and got to share in our joy.  I will never forget my midwife putting Grace on my belly. I said "Hi there baby girl".  Her head whisked around to look at my voice and let out a coo, as if to say, so glad to be in your arms.  The whole room stopped at that amazing sight.  

Grace has continued her amazing trend.  Becoming a big sister to Andrew and surviving the toddler years.  She was the happiest when we told her I had another baby in my belly (June 11 - Grace remembers every single detail).  She tracked my pregnancy and announced she would be moving out if our baby wasn't a girl.  She knew I was in labor and got up to be with me in the middle of the night.  She was over the moon happy to hold our new little girl.  

Through out Cora's illness, Grace has never expressed jealousy of the attention Cora needs.  She worries with all her heart about Cora. She needs to know every single detail of Cora's illness and, like me, tries to control the things she can.  She got right into the middle of fund raising and started her own fund raiser selling bookmarks at school. Like me, she had to "DO" something.  She doesn't complain about the lack of activities or playdates.  When she asked me for a birthday party so that she could have "something that is just about me", I created the most amazing outdoor garden party (after I took the knife out of my chest.  Seriously, where do kids come up with this stuff!?) 

Yesterday, we celebrated Grace's birthday with 12 of her friends by creating "Grace's Garden".  Her friends and I created a garden with flowers chosen just for Grace.  The girls understood that they couldn't go in the house and I marveled at the compassion of Grace's friends. Thankfully, Cora slept the entire party.  

So, to my amazing 9 year old, Happy Birthday.  The next 9 years will be filled with change as you grow up and leave the nest.  I can't wait to watch you and your garden grow.

Be CORAgeous!

Ps - Cora is still fever free.  That, my friends, is another true miracle. We may have used up another one of our 9 lives but it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment